Friday 6 February 2009

M8 HMC: Step 3 Fixing of Drive Shaft

"Step 3 Fixing of Drive Shaft" is one of the shorter steps in assembling Tamiya kit 35110 M8 Howitzer Motor Carriage. It is also one of the easier - provided you simply follow the instructions and not deviate slightly as I did. Be that as it may, even with my minor changes this remains an easy and short chapter.

Above are the relevant Tamiya kit instructions.

As indicated above this step requires the attachment of two pairs of parts, namely the two drive shafts (A26 and A27) and what I assume to be two towing attachment points (both numbered A29), to the lower hull.

There is really not much to say about the actual attachment of these parts to the lower hull. There was the usual molding seams which needed to be cleaned, and then the parts were glued into place using Tamiya liquid glue. One thing I have noticed is that if the towing points are attached correctly per the kit, they do not angle down as with the real vehicle. I have chosen not to correct this minor blemish. The gaps around the drive shafts and the lower hull were filled with Tamiya putty - as is evidenced by my messy handiwork in below photos.

Above left shows the front of the lower hull and the tow hooks which should angle down. Above right is the drive shaft in place before filler putty is applied.

When paging through the Tankograd M8 HMC book, I noticed that the transmission (basically the front section of the lower hull which the drive shafts are attached to) features four bolt heads and what I think is a grease hole on each side of the front face. However the Tamiya hull does not represent this detail, replacing it with an ignominious casting seam.

Correcting this little detail was simple. "Guesstimating" when the grease holes should be, I gently drilled the holes using a 0.5mm drill bit and my pin-vice. I then glued two pieces of the 0.5mm styrene hex rod I had cut previously above the hole, and two below on each side of the transmission. I must admit to being skeptical that I got this 100% accurate (or even vaguely), but it looks the part so I am satisfied.

Back in the '80's when this kit was originally produced, it was released as a (electric) motorised model. The tell-tale signs can still be seen by the holes in the lower hull and some sort of struts for batteries. Given that the holes are on the underside of the hull I suppose one could ignore them, however I decided to fill them. I did this gluing a small piece of plastic card inside the hull, and then filling the holes with Tamiya putty.

Above left shows the plastic card over the holes. Above right shows the holes filled with putty prior to being sanded smooth.

Above shows the completed Step 3 Fixing of Drive Shaft with transmission bolts fitted.

The next chapter, Step 4 Fixing of Wheels, is a larger one wherein we will also tackle folding photo-etch and creating PE boxes.

No comments: