Thursday 18 June 2009

Melbourne Model Expo 2009

The 26th Annual Australian Open Plastic Scale Model Championships, or simply Model Expo 2009, was held over the Queen's Birthday Weekend of 6-8 June 2009 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. For Victorians this 3 day modelling spectacular is seen as the event of the modelling calendar.

I had been looking forward to attending my first Model Expo ever since we decided to emigrate. And so, with that I obtained permission from her supreme highness to attend all 3 days of the Expo. Speaking to friends, I was able to formulate a strategy on how to attend so as to maximise viewing pleasure. Sounds odd, doesn't it?

Day 1: I decided to only arrive at the show after noon, which is when the entries closed. Without the missus in tow, this would be the day I'd do my shopping. Obviously I'd also do the footwork on seeing the entries.

Day 2: Missus in tow, Saturday was my photography day. I took over 500 photos with my new Canon EOS 450D. Amazingly I was simply shooting on fully automatic and in my opinion I got some great shots. I was really impressed. The missus wasn't though, but she didn't complain once over the three and a half hours I took to shoot most of the entries. (The diorama shown here is one by my friend Matt Beattie)

Day 3: Day of the Swap & Sell. If you've never been to a S&S, picture a pirahna feeding frenzy. The S&S was held seperately to the Expo (although same location). Unfortunately the room they held it in was undersized, in my opinion, for the number of sellers - and subsequent buyers. Although I picked up 2 reference books really cheaply, it wasn't long before I got a bit claustraphobic and left. Not that there were really any kits that tickled my fancy.

The full feature article on Kitmaker.net

2 comments:

Jamie Stokes said...

Thanks for sharing Rudi,
was planning to go myself, couldn't make it, unfortunately....

appreciate you sharing a digital tour of the expo, Thanks

cheers
Jamie

Rudi Richardson said...

No dramas, Jamie. Glad you enjoyed it - maybe next year, yah?

Rudi