Wednesday 16 January 2008

First figure for 2008 underway

At the last minute this past weekend, in true "Rudi fashion", I decided that I would paint a figure especially for The Missus' birthday. So what's the big deal you say? The big deal is simply that her birthday is on Monday 21 January, and I normally take weeks - okay, okay, months - to finish a single figure. So for me this is a real case of speed modelling. That said, if I finish it: cool. If not: no worries, I have other gifts for her. But... I really do want to finish it for her.

So what's the figure already? El Viejo Dragón Miniaturas’ CG130 Roman Legionary, Sertorian Army, North Hispania, 74BC Why this figure? Not reason other than that when looking through my box of review samples she said she liked this particular figure the most. Don't think I need a better reason.

With every figure I undertake I like to try at least one new technique. And, since my copy of Danillo Cartacci's Painting Miniatures arrived last week, I've decided to try 2 of his metal techniques, namely bronze and mail. These should be interesting to try.

Another new technique I'll be trying to painting a Meditteranean skintone. I picked up a list of different fleshtone "recipes" off CMON a few months ago, and have been itching to try them.

Enough about what I want to do, and onto the job at hand...

I started the cleanup and polishing the helmet and mail coat last week Thursday at "Model Thingie".The helmet and mail were then masked using Humbrols Maskol (gawd the stuff reeks!) before priming the figure with Tamiya Light Grey Surface primer.



Started painting last night. Flesh basecoated using AV Cork Brown. Not that it's visible from this photo, but the neck scarf has been basecoated with GW Scab Red.



And that's pretty much how far the figure still is tonight. I started working on the groundwork tonight as I am a bit too tired to paint a 54mm face. At this point Monday is speeding towards me and I have no idea if I'll recover enough time to finish the piece. Maybe, just maybe, I can steal a few more hours during the week. I'll have to chat to the in-laws and get them in on the conspiracy to get her out the house on Saturday for a few hours. As it is I still need to charge and load her pressie - and nope, I ain't telling nobody what I bought her ;-) :-p

Ci

No comments: