Thursday 10 January 2008

Validating one's work

So you'll notice I've entitled this post "Validating one's work", so you should be warned that this is just a little rant. So this is how the story goes...

On Saturday evening I published my review of Alpine's 1/35 scale "WW2 German Officer Set". Now what many don't realise is that it takes time to put a fairly decent, or even a fairly mediocre, product review. I worked on the review on and off over about 10 days, I'd say total time including photography - which itself takes me about 1.5-2 hrs to take the pics
with my crappy camera and resize and fix them. Now let's talk upload time... it's weekend, the review needs to get published, I have no choice but to use my home dial-up (our older readers may remember those - well in darkest Africa most of us still use these due to parastatal monopolies - but that's another rant for another time). So add another 1-1.5hrs for the upload of the photos.

K... so we're talking max 12hrs working time for a review which takes a reader about 10 minutes to read and browse the pics. And here's my main gripe... after the 12 working hours, and the 10 minute read, and (at time of rant) 464 times the review has been read.... I get one comment... sheesh people, give a reviewer some feedback! How are writers supposed to know if the other 463 readers found the review useful? If you think the review sucks, or is unfair, or is just another product endorsement like some other reviewers I could mention give.... for heaven sake say so!

Now please, don't get me wrong. I really love doing figure reviews. I love it from the moment the moment I first open the box through the research (and how I love the research - it's probably my favourite part) through the photos (pain in the arse they may be to me) to the final publication and seeing my opinion in print. (I get the same feeling from being a business analyst and doing the requirements stages)

I just really want some validation for my work.I don't think that's too much to ask is it?

Rant ends here

BTW, I'd added the link to the review to my list of reviews.

BTW2, I finally got the Platoon 1/35 Panzer Assault Gunner published last night as well. Gawd, it took me long enough to get that one out...

Cya later

No comments: