Monday 12 May 2008

Platoon's 12SS HJ Normandy ala Tan: Part 1

Against my better judgement but doing it for the sake of my HF peeps I have decided to participate in Historicus Forma's latest contest: The Pegaso Painting Contest 2008 (PPC2008). For more info, check out Historicus Forma - see the link in my sidebar.

The figure I've selected is one I reviewed a few months back, Panzergrenadier ‘Hitlerjugend’ 1944 from the Platoon range of figures. Here's the review: In-box review

These first pics are those of the box art and not my work:

These are the parts in the box, and as I have yet to start still in this state:

I am an absolute glutton for punishment. Not only do I hope to finish the figure on time, but the plan is to paint the figure using techniques described by Calvin Tan in his "Modelling Waffen-SS Figures" book which was published by Osprey a few years ago. These are techniques I've never tried before.

To compound the situation further, the plan at the moment is to attempt to paint 3 different SS camouflage patterns on this figure. I'll not say which schemes or which parts yet, but know this: this is the most "technical" figure I've yet to undertake as this will be my first real attempt at camo (previous attempts being bad attempts a BDU and choc chip many, many years ago).

No comments: