Monday 12 May 2008

Platoon's 12SS HJ Normandy ala Tan: Part 2

Preparation: Information Gathering

 

The first thing I do when starting any figure is to look for reviews of the topic. Now unfortunately it appears the only review of this figure is mine. In a way that's a pity, as I would have liked to have seen if the experiences of others were the same as mine. On the other hand, it's quite flattering.

Next I'll look for painted versions and interpretations of the figure. Again a search, albeit a quick one, yields nil. It's always nice to see how someone else interpreted the figure, although it's important not to merely clone their figure.

That was the "informal" and easy part of the information gathering. The next phase can become time consuming but it's an important stage as it will not only help you ascertain the accuracy of the figure (if that is important to you), but it will help you place the figure in terms of groundwork as well as defining your colour palette.

These are the references I used when reviewing the figure:


  • “Waffen-SS Soldier 1940-45”. Warrior 2. Bruce Quarrie. Illustrated by Jeffrey Burn. Osprey Publishing. 1993.
  • “Waffen-SS in Combat”. Robert Michulec. Colour Plates by Ronald Volstad. Concord Publishing.
  • “Waffen-SS (2) From Glory to Defeat 1943 – 1945”. Robert Michulec. Colour Plates by Ronald Volstad. Concord Publishing. 2000.
  • “German Combat Equipments 1939-45”. Men-at-Arms 234. Gordon Rottman. Illustrated by Ron Volstad. Osprey Publishing. 1991.

However as I now need to actually paint and place the figure, not only will I recheck these references, but I browse through more sources including Wehrmacht references.

Something else I tend to do before undertaking a figure is to browse through my figure modelling books. For this figure the two books in particular that I referenced are:

  • "Modelling Waffen-SS Figures". Osprey Modelling 23. Calvin Tan. Osprey Publishing. 2005.
  • "Modelling Fallschirmjager Figures". Osprey Modelling 31. Jaume Ortiz Forns & Daniel Alfonsea Romero. Osprey Publishing. 2006.

I also reread though an excellent camouflage article on HF to help motivate me: Painting 3 Types of German WWII Camouflage by Pete Becerra Jr.

As I mentioned though, during this build I will be applying Calvin's technique, so his book will become my primary reference.

 

Preparation: Supplies

 

Having gathered enough information (is there such a thing as enough information?) I put together a preliminary list of colours I will be using on my palette. In recent times I've gradually been moving away from enamels and oils to acrylics. Unfortunately my wife appears to have some sort of allergic or chemical reaction to oil based paints and solvents so I need to minimise their use when she's around. And so, I've gradually been replacing my trusty old Humbrols with Vallejo's Model Colour range, as well as acrylics by Citadel and Tamiya where the Vallejo's are unavailable. Unfortunately Vallejo is not too popular in South Africa, and only one LHS in Cape Town stocks them. Colours like Sunny Skintone seem to always be out of stock, and you're not always guaranteed to find everything you're looking for, and so you are forced to substitute where you can.

But back to the list of colours, as I said, this is a preliminary list of colours I'll be requiring:

VC# Chart Pos Name Comment
837 7 Sand light  
915 14 Deep yellow  
845 20 Sunny skintone Out of stock. Sub w/ 815 Flesh Tone
909 28 Vermillion  
835 37 Salmon rose  
899 50 Dark Prussian  
833 80 Germ.cam.  
975 89 Military green ja  
890 90 Reflective green  
889 91 Us olive drab  
924 94 Russian uniform WWII  
896 99 Cam.extra dark green  
830 102 German fieldgrey WWII Out of stock. Sub w/Tam XF-22
821 103 Ger. cam. beige WWII  
986 110 Deck tan  
988 115 Khaki  
847 123 Dark sand  
824 128 Germ. cam. orange ochre  
981 131 Orange brown  
875 135 Beige brown  
984 140 Flat brown  
921 141 English uniform  
873 142 Us field drab Out of stock. Sub w/?? Maybe English Uniform or Burnt Umber?
825 144 Germ.cam.  
985 146 Hull red  
871 147 Leather brown  
822 150 Germ. cam. black brown  
950 169 Black  

I'll also be using Humbrol Silver 11 and Tamiya X-21 Flat Base.

Tip: Prior to going to the LHS I always make a complete but preliminary list of all the materials I'll be needing for the project. I then cross off all the supplies I already have. You will note I sort the AV colours by chart position so as to make finding them in the LHS's paint rack a bit easier.

Paint however is not all we need to finish a model, is it? I'll also be using Tamiya filler putty, CA glue, epoxy glue, paper clips for pinning parts, paper or plasticard for straps, brass or fuse wire for buckles, and maybe the other odd bit or bob.

How about the base and groundwork? I have a general idea in mind of what I want to do. Something rather simple in fact, the figure's going to be complicated enough as it is, no need to recede my hairline further by complicating the groundwork. The groundwork will probably consist of epoxy putty, fine gravel, static grass and the odd root or twig. Later I'll add some WS Flock and grass.

Now that I have gathered the supplies, it's time to start cleaning up the figure and preparing the groundwork.

No comments: